Is this a good theory?(was: shouldn't have turned on the A/C!!)

--Apple-Mail-1--164917854

I had a similar thing happen on my 87 8v Jetta. I was at a light and the=20=

thing started running bad and missing as I pulled away. I limped it into=20=

a nearby neighborhood and towed it to my parent's house, just a few=20
miles away. When I cranked it the starter spun very easily. The=20
distributor was turning and the timing belt had tension. Then, one time=20=

when I was hitting the starter, my father noticed that the belt wasn't=20=

turning. It turns out that when I had replaced the belt a few months=20
ago, I had tightened it WAY too much and the teeth had started to shear=20=

off (that'll teach me not to ignore Robert Bently). Put a new timing=20
belt on and the thing runs as good as new.

jeremy

On Sunday, February 24, 2002, at 03:38 PM, Rob Cotner wrote:

> Well my original message basically stated that I was driving down the=20=

> road and decided to turn on my A/C.=A0 Once I did that, the car ran =
for=20
> perhaps 4 seconds, and then died and would not restart.=A0 The timing=20=

> belt had been replaced 200 miles ago.
>
> I towed it home and found that it has compression (I just had a friend=20=

> stick is finger in front of the spark plug hole to make sure it sucked=20=

> and pushed) , as well as spark.=A0 the camshaft does move(timing belt =
not=20
> broke)=A0 I also checked all the fuses, they were good.=A0 So that =
leaves=20
> fuel and timing, right?=A0 Well my theory is that perhaps the =
mechanic,=20
> who finished the car just a week ago(this was the first time I turned=20=

> on the A/C since) didn't tighten the timing belt tensioner enough (or=20=

> something like that), and the timing belt slipped a few teeth with the=20=

> extra power the A/C compressor demanded.=A0 After it wouldn't start it=20=

> also seemed that the starter whirred a bit faster, actually quite a =
bit=20
> faster.=A0 Could this be because the timing is making it easy on the=20=

> starter(the pistons just push air out the valves, and don't have to=20
> work against compression?)=A0 If this is true, should my mechanic(who =
is=20
> a rather nice guy actually) be liable, as in he should just fix it fo!=20=

> r free?=A0 I don't want to sound accusative with some story that for =
all=20
> I know is impossible, so please tell me what you think-
>
> Rob
>

> =A0
>
> =A0
>

> Join the world=EDs largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here

--Apple-Mail-1--164917854

I had a similar thing happen on my 87 8v Jetta. I was at a light and
the thing started running bad and missing as I pulled away. I limped
it into a nearby neighborhood and towed it to my parent's house, just
a few miles away. When I cranked it the starter spun very easily. The
distributor was turning and the timing belt had tension. Then, one
time when I was hitting the starter, my father noticed that the belt
wasn't turning. It turns out that when I had replaced the belt a few
months ago, I had tightened it WAY too much and the teeth had started
to shear off (that'll teach me not to ignore Robert Bently). Put a new
timing belt on and the thing runs as good as new.

jeremy