Is this a good theory?(was: shouldn't have turned on the A/C!!)

--Boundary_(ID_vmjWvTeDtPlgD4y36D4pAw)

Rob,

    The a/c isnt driven with anything that has to do with the timing belt tensioner. Here is my theory:

    I believe the keyway on your crankshaft pulley did not engage fully when your mechanic did the work (or the key fell out on him and he didnt catch it). I also believe that the crank pulley shifted by a few degrees when it slipped. Here is how this solution follows your symptoms:

1. Problem occured when a/c turned on: The tensioner may have nothing to do with load from the a/c compressor, but the crank pulley would be effected, since it also drives the accessory pulleys. Increased load from the a/c compressor may have been just enough to put it over the edge.

2. Starter turns faster now: Once the crank pulley slips, your compression is toast since the timing is all off. In your case it may be so severe that you have an intake/exhaust valve open as you reach TDC. This will spill out the air you are compressing, making less work for the starter, thus the faster cranking speed.

    As for the mechanic thing, if he messed with the timing belt, he probably messed with the crank pulley, so he should be liable.

P.S. Do yourself a favor and dont crank it anymore with the starter. You may be tempting fate. Rotate the crank with a ratchet and put the engine at what you think is TDC (from cam timing mark, crank pulley mark, etc). Then check real crank position (via the flywheel through the upper hole on the tranny housing). Most likely you will NOT see the timing mark. Rotate the crank till you see the mark, compare to the cam pulley mark and see just how far it is off.

Hope this helps ya.
Allyn

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)