[RE: OT? -- communter car search] - BMW 3-series

At 05:30 PM 2/21/2002, Neal Tovsen wrote:
> > And a 4-cylinder BMW other than a 2002 is
> > utter and supreme
> > sacrilege -- so you don't want one.... especially since they
> > are well known
> > for horrible head problems.
>
>I've pretty much ignored this thread, but I liked Jason's dissertation
>(thanks!).

LOL -- Thanks Neal - I can always count on you!

>  I know the 318 engines suck, but would you lump the E30 M3 engine
>in with them too? I always LOOOVED those cars! I haven't heard of any
>unusual engine problems with them, but then again I haven't followed them
>either.

Well, the E30 M3 Motor is awesome.... so it's a grey area.  But the reason
I say that owning a 4-cylinder BMW is sacrilege is simple:  BMW is
world-renowned for producing the best inline-6 cylinders engines in the
world.  With 2 close competitors in tow (namely Mercedes until recently and
Toyota), no inline-6s can match the durability, smoothness, sound,
longevity and power of BMW's motors.

On the other hand, BMW's 4-cylinders are nothing special.  They're
generally unliked; coarse, torqueless, and flawed in terms of design.

So if you buy a BMW model for which there is an inline-6 model and a
4-cylinder, to purchase the 4-cylinder is sacrilege.

Hence the 2002's exemption -- there was no 6-cylinder back then.  And the
E30 M3 is technically sacrilege except that motor isn't shit. :)

Jason