Please, somebody,anybody help me!!

Nah - probably totally different.  The 2 best (aka
cheapest) things for you to do is......

Well - lemme rephrase that - if you want to keep from
being a full on prostitute, and maybe just do the
weekend call girl thing, you need to start doing your
own labor.  I kept taking my Scirocco to mechanics for
easy stuff, and realized that I was paying $50/hr for
labor, and 2.50 for a part.  Usually the bill was
$150, with a $5 - 10 part.  Paying for labor usually
doesn't involve prostitution, it can be flat out rape.

The shift linkage is a great place to start doing your
own work.  I did mine in the parking lot of my old
apartment.  It's pretty easy, and builds confidence
for further repairs :)

If you don't know when the linkage was last
overhauled, overhaul it.  Spend the $15 for a bushing
kit (probably don't need the $80 one), buy a Haynes
manual (at least) and go for it.... If more than the
bushings are bad, you will figure it out when you do
the bushings...

That should fix a lot of your shifting problems.

Another great thing to do is drain and refill the
tranny with Redline tranny oil... makes a world of
difference.

HTH - You will spend more on labor than you did on the
car in a very short period of time....

Mark

> shit.
>
> shit shit shit.
>
> I've been having shift/cluch problems of another
> sort too.
>
> I made an apointment at this great little VW shop
> to get my shift linkage looked at due to not being
> able
> to get into first gear all the time.
>
> And because when shifting the gears are binding,
> and is very tight/hard to shift
>
> How much is a clutch? (i hope my FN tranny isn't
> dying too!!)
>
> Am i going to have to become a prostitute to afford
> this scirocco??
>
> ACK!

=====
Mark