Vented Battery

>AFA sealed or vented...hell, Beetles ran non-vented lead-acid for
 > > years, was there really any problems caused by this?  Serious
 > > question...

I would guess there was a problem because the VW engineers put a vent from the battery compartment to the outside of the car when they designed the Vanagon (battery is under the front passenger seat!)

A lead acid battery gives off hydrogen when overcharged.  Overcharging was not usually a problem with the generator equipped Beetles, while modern car charging systems give the battery a slight overcharge.

Bill