HP at which a 4k is too low gearing?

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Dan Bubb wrote:

> So, what EFI are you getting?? I'm curious, because now that I have the
> Haltech, I have some definite opinions about this.
Well,

I'm going with the do it yourself option... A megasquirt kit.

Pro's:
Cheap
I can build it myself
batch fire just like SMS & most programmables.
high speed processor capable of 18k rpm+
Open source hardware. (build your own, modify it & make it different)
open source software. (change sensors, lookup tables, routines etc.)

Cons:
no one to yell at if it fails
Doesn't do ignition
as yet semi unproven (currently running 2 vehicles.)

So, i trust the guys that designed it know what they are doing & figured
i'm mainly avoiding the "we're smart & figured out something you can't so
we are going to rape you for it" r&d surcharge on commercial units.
$100-200 worth of hardware, $700-1500 worth of r&d/software markup
on a given unit. These companies did the work and deserve what the market
will  bear for their trouble, but i think i can do more or less the same
thing cheaper due to generous experts in the open source area.

In MHO, at this time its a relatively unproven system, so I am
gambling & taking a chance, but i feel its a decent bet due to the
experience of the designers. Kits have now shipped, so soon there will be
more cars with it installed. time will tell.

take care,

Steve