Cheapass faster steering ratio idea??

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Brian McGarvey wrote:

> Ron..
> even if the swap "fits" hows it gonna increase your rate of steering? the
> wheel still has to travel the same distance. even if there is a slight
> increase or decrease in the rate of change. its not gonna be the really
> quick lock to lock that your are looking for. as the steering rack still
> only moves dx for n turns. you want fewer turns than n so the dx is
Well,

This _will_ work if the offset is enough. The reason is that as long as
"lock" is a stop on the suspension or spindle assembly (which i think it
is..) by effectively moving the attachment point of the tie rod closer to
the spindle, even though the rack rate hasn't changed the lever arm has...

say the point of rotation of the strut is a point, i/e a dot with no area,
not a circle, and at this point, you have a steering travel of 45 degrees
(i/e measured with a protractor when you turn the wheel there is a 45
degree angle between full lock left & full lock right)

the farther from this point the tie rod attaches, the longer the steering
rack has to travel

so, for some math...

if the radius of the circle (distance from the center "point") is stock 8
inches...

circumference= 2 * pi * radius
So lets say the stock length from spindle center is 7 inches...
circumference = 8*3.14*2=50.24

since 45 degrees is 1/8 of the total circumference 50.24/8=6.28 inches
lock to lock spindle end movement.

so the circumference of this circle is 6*3.14*2=37.68
lock to lock would be 4.71 inches.

so, the distance you have to travel would be reduced 2 inches... pretty
significant.  I'f you divide it out, that is a 25% reduction in lock to
lock...(4.71/6.28=.75)

BTW all my numbers are guesses, go measure your car for real numbers..

see ron, you thought you'd never have to use algebra ;)

take care,

Steve

             Fashion Twins, activate! form of: a lemming.
                      http://westfailure.org