Flex pipe replacement?

Here we go, again.
When I do the exhaust on my '84, I'm going to need the whole thing.  OEM
4-2-1 setup.
Will I be able to swap the flex pipe with a rigid pipe (I'm thinking
about going custom with a local shop), or should I keep the flex pipe?
 I've heard stories about manifolds and downpipes cracking.....would
there be enough 'give' in the exhaust to make up for the lacking flex pipe?

Oh, and I'm in need of the cat bypass tube (comes out of the manifold on
the passenger side for emissions testing).  Either I replace it or I JB
Weld the hole.......

Nate
'81
'84

If anyone has a flex pipe and convertor they want to get rid of, let me
know.