16v power debate...reopened!

There was an article in Racecar Engineering at the time Audi was kicking
ass in the BTCC.
The bore was 84.5 and the stroke was courtesy of a custom crank with a
stoke around 89 mm to keep the engine under 2000 cc. Apparently, Audi
had to be pretty picky about which blocks they used. I don't recall any
mention of rod length or whether they used a short or tall block in the
article, but I'll probably reread it tonight for the tenth time just to
make sure.
Dan
PS. Power was at 305 HP at 8250 RPM at the time of the article.