Mk1 Windshields, no longer avail.?

Well, I got a new windshield & gasket installed in Cosmos today (81
Scirocco) for $313.00 (ouch!).

It took the glass shop a couple weeks to track down a new one and a new gasket.
He say's the glass is no longer available and there are very few gaskets left.
I called some other glass shops and verified what he told me :(
If you have a cracked windshield in your Mk1 you better find one now or
start looking for one in a wrecking yard.
I have the guy currently trying to track down another new one for Mars but
fear he will be unsuccessful :(
The gaskets are also getting rare, he found a couple but they are not
expected to be around too much longer.

On the 1hr. drive to the glass shop I found some issues:
Cooling problem (probably a bad thermostat/waterpump or needs to be flushed)
Loose steering rack (time for a complete suspension rebuild)
Stock exhaust hitting shift linkage (time to rebuild and install custom
spherical bearing linkages)

Thought I'd share :)

Randy
www.myscirocco.org