emissions testing

Here in Canada, if you install a newer motor, like the
16V in a '79; the car will have to meet the emissions
standards of the newer motor that you installed. But
then again, all the VW motors look the same to the
uneducated, so I suppose it's only if you tell them.
They do the same thing here, put the car up on the
rollers and shove the probe up the pipe and sniff.
THey also do a visual inspection for the cat, stock
airbox, etc.  One thing, here in Canada, they are more
lenient if you have an old car like a mk.1 or my '83.
They didn't bother looking under my car or under the
hood.  Besides , my car is before the days of cats.  I
was surprised at how well my car did on the last smog
test.  It scored well better than the minimum amounts
required, and the car has 240,000kms on it; although
it has some head work done to it.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT (Canadian model only, I think)
'81 Kawasaki KZ 550