emissions testing

Steve,
Good questions...  I would like to know more about this as well.  We have
sniffer tests here.  My questions are w/ the 16v conversion, is it still
technically a '79 and thus possibly more leiniant smog requirements?  What
tuning can I do for a day to adjust CO and N (I think)  There is a good tech
out there on using a Voltmeter to play with mixture (Scirocco16v.com I
think)  Similar to what Steve is asking, what does the CAT keep you from
flunking (specifically) and how can I achieve the same thing w/o one even
for a day.
Ken