this might be the last straw

As far as the "broken crank", what were you boosting to?  Was it stock
compression?  What engine management system? What cams?  Hell, what turbo?
All of this would help to know what HP you were pushing the crank around
with, and also if you had severe detonation issues.  If you got enough of
that stuff wrong, I wouldn't doubt that the stock VR6 crank would only last
about a week.

Properly configured for boost, the stock VR6 internals should be good up to
about 300-350 hp, maybe 15 psi max.  This, of course, is intercooled, with
proper engine management, and set up by a knowledgeable tuner.

Its unlikely, but possible that the gears broke.  As Brian (?) said, there
is a single chain that goes from the crank sprocket to the intermediate
shaft.  Then a double chain is run off the intermediate shaft and turns the
cams.  When working around in there it's very easy to get something
mis-timed.  When I ripped my VR6 apart last fall I spent the better part of
a whole weekend trying to be sure I had the timing correct, and until I
twisted the key after it was back together again I still wasn't sure.  Its a
PITA in there for sure.

Before giving that shop any money for diagnosis and teardown, I would ask to
see any and all parts that were busted.  Take a friend who knows VW's/VR6's
or snap a couple pics and post them.

Marc