wider is better

> No offense Larry, but you don't autocross much, do you? :)

None taken.

> Tire temps are very important on autocross-specific tires. Sure, the first
> couple turns of the course on your first run are on cold tires, but
they're
> warm after that.

Every autocross I've been to required a 30-60 minute wait between runs; more
than enough time for your tires to return to ambient temperature.  Possibly
your events have fewer participants.  The events here have a lot of cars and
you gotta' wait your turn.  :)

 Ever notice all the people with pyrometers checking their
> tires after a run (we're talking National event here)? They'll use the
tire
> temps as a guide for tire pressures and suspension settings.

Of course.  Your tires are warm at the end of the run and will give you much
info about your setup, but they'll be "cold" tires for the FIRST half of the
next run, at least in San Diego.

The goal is to
> get the inside edge just a little warmer than the outside, with a nice
> gradient in the middle. I just happened to be reading up on my new Kumhos
> last night - IIRC, their operating temp is somewhere in the 160-degree
> range.
>
> On a "cold" day (say 60 degrees and cloudy), I can tell when the tires
> aren't warming up properly, especially on asphal. The car feels like it's
on
> ice compared to a warmed-up tire. No grip. Since my Subaru's suspension
> isn't adjustable, I'll adjust my tire pressure to try get them to heat up
> quicker, and it works for the most part. But if I were a rich man I'd buy
> narrower set of tires and a second set of wheels.

I'm sure your competitors would chip in and help you buy them. :)

> Of course, you can do whatever you want if it makes you feel better...I
> don't mind winning!
>
> Neal

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!