wider is better

No offense Larry, but you don't autocross much, do you? :)

Tire temps are very important on autocross-specific tires. Sure, the first
couple turns of the course on your first run are on cold tires, but they're
warm after that. Ever notice all the people with pyrometers checking their
tires after a run (we're talking National event here)? They'll use the tire
temps as a guide for tire pressures and suspension settings. The goal is to
get the inside edge just a little warmer than the outside, with a nice
gradient in the middle. I just happened to be reading up on my new Kumhos
last night - IIRC, their operating temp is somewhere in the 160-degree
range.

On a "cold" day (say 60 degrees and cloudy), I can tell when the tires
aren't warming up properly, especially on asphal. The car feels like it's on
ice compared to a warmed-up tire. No grip. Since my Subaru's suspension
isn't adjustable, I'll adjust my tire pressure to try get them to heat up
quicker, and it works for the most part. But if I were a rich man I'd buy a
narrower set of tires and a second set of wheels.

Of course, you can do whatever you want if it makes you feel better...I
don't mind winning!

Neal