Vaccuum lines etc

Maybe someone can tell me this.  Im trying to reconstruct all the vaccuum
lines and tanks after the transplant.  Since I am a novice, I am trying to
make it just like it was since I dont know how much is necessary and how
much I can plug and omit.  As I picture it though it is just one "system".
The vac tanks are all linked together and the reason there is 3 or 4 of them
is simply to increase volume/capacity.  Is this right?  As long as they are
"linked" it should be OK right?
2 under the pas fender and a cylinder under the driver fender.  But the MK1
had a little one in the driver side of the bumper down low.  It is total
volume that I should maintain right?  Not which one(s) I keep or use.
Just trying to understand the concept here.
Thanks for any input.

'79 Scirocco
16v conversion under way
Vortex: Indiana Red