why do people think Nitrous burns?(BECAUSE IT DOES)

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:57:08AM -0500, Brian McGarvey wrote:

> MATHESON TRI-GAS, INC.
> MTG MSDS 70; DINITROGEN MONOXIDE; FACTITIOUS AIR; LAUGHING GAS;
> HYPONITROUS ACID ANHYDRIDE; NITROGEN (I) OXIDE; NITROGEN OXIDE; STCC
> 4904340; UN 1070; NITROGEN OXIDE (N2O); DINITROGEN OXIDE; NITROUS OXIDE,
> COMPRESSED; N2O; MAT16790; RTECS QX1350000

Also known as WHIPPITS; HIPPY CRACK; and HEY DUDE DO YOU HEAR A
HELICOPTER?

> PHYSICAL HAZARDS: Containers may rupture or explode if exposed to heat.

Also, EUPHORIA; FROZEN FINGERTIPS, FIGHTS OVER THE LAST CHARGER, and HEY
DUDE DO YOU HEAR A HELICOPTER?

> And BTW>
> the Hindenberg Had HYDROGEN not Nitrogen. and it also had a MAGNESIUM
> based paint of the outside sking which was burning in the pictures ..
> off rant.

Urk, no.  Hindenburg's paint was not magnesium.  The canvas was treated
with ferric oxide (not ferous oxide, which is regular rust)  and then
painted with a Buterate dope containing a suspension of powdered
aluminum.  When powdered aluminum and ferric oxide are mixed, they make
something called Thermit, which burns CONSIDERABLY hotter than magnesium.

> additionally HINTS.
> what are the FERTILIZER bombs made from? Nitrogen based compounds
> Rocket FUELS.
> ammonia
> etc. etc. etc.

And what am I breathing right now? OH MY GOD IT's 70% NITROGEN!  And that
drink of water! It was 66% hydrogen! I'm gonna die for sure!

> brian
> Engineer.

And Georgia Tech student, correct?  Look into Prof. Jerry Seitzman's
courses on Aerospace Combustion.  Very
informative... http://www.ae.gatech.edu/~jseitzma/

Dan