why do people think Nitrous burns?

     OK, I was planning to stay out of this, but then again, I like shooting off
my mouth ;)  First, the N in NOS (Nitrous Oxide) is for Nitrogen, which burns
quite effectively in the presence of oxygen.  Don't take my word for
it, go watch a film of the Hindenburg.  Secondly, the intended effect of burning
NOS is to increase the free oxygen available for combustion, increasing the burn
rate and temperature.  That's what it does in the cylinder, and there's nothing
that says it can't do that in your trunk.
     Oxygen, by itself, won't burn, but it's an essential component of
combustion and the more available the hotter and more intense the fire
involved.  That's why hospitals get cranky about fire around oxygen tanks.
That or they figured out that people on oxygen probably don't need a bunch of
people standing around smoking ;)
     The effect of NOS on a fire is potentially nasty, and when you allow for
the probability of an exploding bottle, is it any wonder fire-fighters get
twitchy when they see a car on fire with a NOS bottle in the back seat?

Cheers,
Colin