why do people think Nitrous burns?

cwass99@rogers.com wrote:

>      OK, I was planning to stay out of this, but then again, I like shooting off
> my mouth ;)  First, the N in NOS (Nitrous Oxide) is for Nitrogen, which burns
> quite effectively in the presence of oxygen.

This is true, GIVEN ENOUGH HEAT. Nitrogen will combine (or even burn)
with O2 and a lot of things.

> Don't take my word for
> it, go watch a film of the Hindenburg.

=8D

H not = N, _Hydrogen_ has been replaced with Helium in most lifting
bodies as it takes a LOT more ergs to burn Helium. As in; consider it
won't.

<snip>
> Cheers,
> Colin

Damn near Anything will burn, given enough input of energy. Can we
achieve that on the surface of the Earth? Not really. Can we kill
ourselves with a NOS bottle? well...

I don't know enough about combined gasses (without some research and
pondering, must I?) to expound on the flammable qualities of NOS but I'd
say the flammability is eclipsed by the decompressive expressiveness.

You can tell I'm watching Fraiser right now, cant you.

TBerk