why do people think Nitrous burns?

> First, the N in NOS (Nitrous Oxide) is for Nitrogen

No, it is *not* for Nitrogen; it stands for nitrous. NOS is the abbreviated
tradmarked name for "Nitrous Oxide Systems". They aren't the only
manufacturer out there, but do command the greatest market share by far.
Anyway, the actual compound is N20. If you want to drop tech science, get it
right! :^)

> And nos increases the amount of free oxygen by super cooling the air
> around it,
> making it more dense and makeing it take up less space which causes more
> air to rush in to the void.. effectively causing "super forced
> induction" ;)

BZZZZT! Wrong. If that were true, then injecting liquid carbon dioxide (or
any other inert gas) would be just as effective. I guarantee you that a shot
of C02 into your motor would do nothing good for your power output! :^)

Rather, the oxygenation primarily comes from N20's decomposition into oxygen
and nitrogen when heated. Furthermore, a volume of gaseous nitrous oxide
will liberate the same amount of oxygen whether it is at ambient temperature
or is frigid. Evaporating liquid nitrous oxide does super cool the intake
charge, as you described. This provides several added benefits but they are
secondary effects.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut