100hp attainable with JH 1.8??

Rob Cotner wrote:

> Hey all, this is my second post to the list, please bear with my
> limited Scirocco knowledge-
>
> I am rebuilding my '84 JH 1.8l engine and once complete I hope to have
> it generate at least 100hp at the flywheel.  What should I do?
> Everything I read rates my engine currently(stock) at 90hp.  The only
> mods I can think to do while rebuilding are to port and polish the
> head,  change the exhaust manifold to an earlier one(I've heard the
> '84 manifold is terrible), and put on an audi 5k throttle body.  Any
> other easy(fairly cheap) mods?  I really don't want to change the cam,
> and I want the engine to be efficient also(good MPG).  Would the
> mentioned mods bring me up to 100hp?  I'm all ears to anything that
> would bring me up to anything above that also!  Also, anyone have any
> reccomendations on where to get a quality rebuild kit?  What do most
> VW lovers use?  thanks in advance-
>
> Rob
>
> '83 Scirocco(nice leather interior and body, weak engine)
>
> '84 Scirocco(bad body and interior, strong engine)

Argh! HTML!!!! The pain!, the Pain!   8D

One thing to consider is the Fox manifold makes a good match for the
larger throttle body. No porting required. The 5th injector will
interfere w/ the firewall but you can tap a new location on the end like
the stock Scirocco one after flattening the spot w/ sandpaper.

GEtting 100 HP @ the flywheel just means getting the thing back to what
the Euro spec was, you can get a little past that and still keep
reliability.

welcome,
TBerk