oil pumps

hey everyone.

i'm putting my motor back together and i started
buying new parts. i called up my parts supplier and
asked about a new oil pump and i was quoted a price
of $200 cdn. yikes.
this other guy i work with just finished his 2L 8v rabbit and
his oil pump was $60. i checked his old one which was
lying around and bingo, it had the same part number. the
things about it that are different are the shafts that go up
into the block. his has a notch for the distributor and mine
has the splines for the intermediate shaft. i took mine and
his apart and just basically replaced the shaft from the 8v
with the 16v and everything went back together.

does this make sense and would it work? i'm kinda
worried about slapping it together this just isn't meant
to be. are there any differences between them other than
that shaft?

thanks

paul