5spd tranny geared wierd ('84 )

Hello!

As some of you know I just bought a '84 rocco. I just put
it on the road last thursday. Drove it a little friday and then
took it to a muffler shop. (it had no muffler, and i got the
cat replaced with a resonator).

Anyways.. I drove it around today city/highway for about
an hour or two. It's geared really wierd. I used to own a 84
Jetta GLI and i like the way it shifted. My new rocco's tranny
is really bugging me. In 4th gear at about 2800-2900  i'm going 100kph,
in 5th gear at 2800 i'm going 120kph, at ~3150 i'm going 140kph, and
the engine stops moving at around ~3500-4000. (160kph).
1st and 2nd gear are pretty close but 3rd is a little wide and 4th and
5th
are very wide.

If i understand correctly the sweet spot is around 5500rpm. The way
things are geared, i only really hit that if in 1st and 2nd, and 3rd if
i let it
goto 100. Downshifting on the highway from 5th to 4th is almost like
doing nothing at all. They are really close together.

My old GLI with a JH engine easily hit 180kph in 5th gear.. the Scirocco
struggles to get to 160. It's not a big deal since i don't ever drive
that fast
on the highways, but it's a little disconcerting considering the
scirocco is
lighter and "sportier".

Is this possible on of those "Wide" geared transmissions? It's bugging
the
hell out of me. What sort of recourse do i have to fix it? What sort of
cost
would it be?

Also.. the JH has solid lifter cams?