Engine gasses into the interior was: chassis re-enforcement v.101

> josh, do this:
> <http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/d-cincy-2k%2B2/imagepages/image116.htm>
> except have the cross bar in the rain tray
> Al

Al,

Looking at this fine piece of engineering I would like to point out the
gap between the front to back orientated bar & the hole cut in the
raintray/firewall to accommodate it.

Looks like lots of atmosphere can get into the fresh air intake, makes
for some loopy breathing over long hauls and a nasty paint of petroleum
on the interior surfaces, including the glass.

I'd suggest you get one of those big rubber loom gaskets off an A2 or
something to wrap around the pipe, it will need to have some sort of
Hershey's kiss/rain drop shape to allow for movement. An alternate might
be regular grommet for the sheet metal but this'll need some augmenting.

Anyway, 'tink it over.

That rubber thing that goes over the top edge of raintray that seals to
the hood is there for a reason.

TBerk