leaking heater core

>Word of caution:  If it is leaking (or spraying) when it is cold out
>your windows will fog up very fast with a nice sticky (but good
>tasting!) goo which is very bad while driving! Trust me on this one,
>it may be wise to leave a window open just a tad.  BTW:  I had a
>leaking heater core which was fixed for a long time (years) with
>pepper...  I know everyone hates to hear that but its better than
>that radiator goop.
>
>Another useful mod: I installed a ball-valve on the heater core
>return line so I can completely shut it off.  I did this because the
>heat always seemed to be on even with a replacement heater valve.
>
>Ben
>86 8v

I just wanted to chime in with a second to the effectiveness of the
pepper fix.  Sounds
stupid.  Actually works. :)  I fixed a leaking core in an 85 winter
car a few years ago,
it held a seal until I tore the car apart years later.

==Brett

--
  \/  `87 Scirocco 2.0t project | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"
\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v,  '84 Scirocco ITB racer project | - brett@netacc.net