Suspension travel modification?

--Boundary_(ID_LknQE1IP/j/joXZbqPUPYg)

You mean channelling all the mounting points upwards?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: L F [mailto:rocco16v@netzero.net]
  Sent: December 25, 2002 6:19 AM
  To: vince@performancecarstereo.com; Neal Tovsen; Drew Teague;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Subject: Re: Suspension travel modification?

  One-word answer to your problem:

  channel

  Larry
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Vince Royer
    To: Neal Tovsen ; Drew Teague ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
    Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 1:15 PM

    I would love to modify my suspension travel so that I can tuck all my
wheels
    deep into my fenders and still have stock-like handling.  mmmm...

    I figure I would have to rework the front upper strut mounts, notch the
    frame, and somehow modify the pickup points as mentioned below to save
the
    geometry from getting too screwed up.  I think that would be dope.

    Vince

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=975570716-25122002><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>You
mean channelling all the mounting points upwards?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> L F
  [mailto:rocco16v@netzero.net]<BR><B>Sent:</B> December 25, 2002 6:19
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> vince@performancecarstereo.com; Neal Tovsen; Drew Teague;
  scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: Suspension travel
  modification?<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>One-word answer to your problem:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>channel</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Larry</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
    <A title=vince@performancecarstereo.com
    href="mailto:vince@performancecarstereo.com";>Vince Royer</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=nealtovsen@yahoo.com
    href="mailto:nealtovsen@yahoo.com";>Neal Tovsen</A> ; <A
    title=roccnroll@hotmail.com href="mailto:roccnroll@hotmail.com";>Drew
    Teague</A> ; <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org
    href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, December 24, 2002 1:15
    PM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: Suspension travel
    modification?</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>I would love to modify my suspension travel so that I can
    tuck all my wheels<BR>deep into my fenders and still have stock-like
    handling.&nbsp; mmmm...<BR><BR>I figure I would have to rework the front
    upper strut mounts, notch the<BR>frame, and somehow modify the pickup points
    as mentioned below to save the<BR>geometry from getting too screwed
    up.&nbsp; I think that would be dope.<BR><BR>Vince<BR><BR><BR>&gt;
    -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; From: <A
    href="mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org</A><BR>&gt;
    [<A
    href="mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org";>mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org</A>]On
    Behalf Of Neal Tovsen<BR>&gt; Sent: December 24, 2002 11:57 AM<BR>&gt; To:
    Drew Teague; <A
    href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A><BR>&gt;
    Subject: Re: Suspension travel modification?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Is
    there a<BR>&gt; &gt; suspension setup that<BR>&gt; &gt; would effectively
    increase the suspension travel for<BR>&gt; &gt; off-road
    applications?<BR>&gt; &gt; That would be worth doing, even if not to race,
    just<BR>&gt; &gt; to off-road.&nbsp; It would<BR>&gt; &gt; be nice to be
    able to use larger tires, too. (clear<BR>&gt; &gt; the wheelwells?)<BR>&gt;
    &gt; Something tells me it might end up taking a decent<BR>&gt; &gt; amount
    of fabrication.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Well, the A1 suspension travel really isn't
    all that<BR>&gt; short. If you want to see an example of a
    short-travel<BR>&gt; suspension, take a look at a Neon
    sometime.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; However, it isn't very long either, and as
    we<BR>&gt; discussed, there are much better choices than an A1<BR>&gt; for
    rally or off-road use. The Subaru Impreza, for<BR>&gt; example, has HUGE
    suspension travel compared to the<BR>&gt; Scirocco (gee...maybe that has
    something to do with a<BR>&gt; certain WRC design
    strategy!).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The Scirocco's droop suspension travel could
    be<BR>&gt; lengthened with custom extra-long struts, but I would<BR>&gt;
    guess that it would cause toe and camber problems if<BR>&gt; you extend the
    control arm too much further down than<BR>&gt; stock.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; You
    could theoretically also increase the bump<BR>&gt; suspension travel quite a
    ways without hitting the<BR>&gt; fender with the tire as long as you don't
    run a huge<BR>&gt; tire. Running a shorter body strut would give you
    some<BR>&gt; extra travel. However, you'll find that the limiting<BR>&gt;
    factor is when the driveshaft contacts the frame rail,<BR>&gt; especially on
    the longer passenger side shaft. This is<BR>&gt; a major headache for
    Street-Prepared autocross cars<BR>&gt; who can't lower the car like they
    want. The<BR>&gt; Prepared-class autocrossers are allowed to notch
    the<BR>&gt; frame rail and reinforce it to allow for more bump<BR>&gt;
    travel.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I'm personally considering mimicing the Golf
    Syncro<BR>&gt; front driveshaft layout (without the differential)<BR>&gt;
    someday in the future for my Street Modified Scirocco.<BR>&gt; It actually
    utilizes equal-length CV joints by<BR>&gt; relocating the passenger side CV
    ouboard closer to the<BR>&gt; framerail (mirroring the driver's side). With
    the CV<BR>&gt; joint moved to near the frame rail, you can get more<BR>&gt;
    upward articulation before the driveshaft contacts the<BR>&gt;
    frame.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; In the end, it is difficult to modify a strut<BR>&gt;
    suspension for longer travel than it was designed for.<BR>&gt; The dynamic
    camber and toe changes make things<BR>&gt; difficult unless you plan to
    relocate the strut and<BR>&gt; control arm pickup points...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;
    Neal<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;