  From: Vince Royer=20
  To: Neal Tovsen ; Drew Teague ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 1:15 PM
  Subject: RE: Suspension travel modification?

  I would love to modify my suspension travel so that I can tuck all my =
wheels
  deep into my fenders and still have stock-like handling.  mmmm...

  I figure I would have to rework the front upper strut mounts, notch =
the
  frame, and somehow modify the pickup points as mentioned below to save =
the
  geometry from getting too screwed up.  I think that would be dope.

  Vince

------=_NextPart_000_00F3_01C2ABDD.841B9F00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One-word answer to your =
problem:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>channel</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larry</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:vince@performancecarstereo.com"=20
  title=3Dvince@performancecarstereo.com>Vince Royer</A> </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:nealtovsen@yahoo.com"=20
  title=3Dnealtovsen@yahoo.com>Neal Tovsen</A> ; <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:roccnroll@hotmail.com"; =
title=3Droccnroll@hotmail.com>Drew=20
  Teague</A> ; <A href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, December 24, =
2002 1:15=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: Suspension travel=20
  modification?</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>I would love to modify my suspension travel so that I =
can tuck=20
  all my wheels<BR>deep into my fenders and still have stock-like=20
  handling.&nbsp; mmmm...<BR><BR>I figure I would have to rework the =
front upper=20
  strut mounts, notch the<BR>frame, and somehow modify the pickup points =
as=20
  mentioned below to save the<BR>geometry from getting too screwed =
up.&nbsp; I=20
  think that would be dope.<BR><BR>Vince<BR><BR><BR>&gt; -----Original=20
  Message-----<BR>&gt; From: <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.o=
rg</A><BR>&gt;=20
  [<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org";>mailto:scirocco-l-admin@sci=
rocco.org</A>]On=20
  Behalf Of Neal Tovsen<BR>&gt; Sent: December 24, 2002 11:57 AM<BR>&gt; =
To:=20
  Drew Teague; <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A><BR>&g=
t;=20
  Subject: Re: Suspension travel modification?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt; Is=20
  there a<BR>&gt; &gt; suspension setup that<BR>&gt; &gt; would =
effectively=20
  increase the suspension travel for<BR>&gt; &gt; off-road =
applications?<BR>&gt;=20
  &gt; That would be worth doing, even if not to race, just<BR>&gt; &gt; =
to=20
  off-road.&nbsp; It would<BR>&gt; &gt; be nice to be able to use larger =
tires,=20
  too. (clear<BR>&gt; &gt; the wheelwells?)<BR>&gt; &gt; Something tells =
me it=20
  might end up taking a decent<BR>&gt; &gt; amount of=20
  fabrication.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Well, the A1 suspension travel really =
isn't all=20
  that<BR>&gt; short. If you want to see an example of a =
short-travel<BR>&gt;=20
  suspension, take a look at a Neon sometime.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; However, =
it isn't=20
  very long either, and as we<BR>&gt; discussed, there are much better =
choices=20
  than an A1<BR>&gt; for rally or off-road use. The Subaru Impreza, =
for<BR>&gt;=20
  example, has HUGE suspension travel compared to the<BR>&gt; Scirocco=20
  (gee...maybe that has something to do with a<BR>&gt; certain WRC =
design=20
  strategy!).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The Scirocco's droop suspension travel =
could=20
  be<BR>&gt; lengthened with custom extra-long struts, but I =
would<BR>&gt; guess=20
  that it would cause toe and camber problems if<BR>&gt; you extend the =
control=20
  arm too much further down than<BR>&gt; stock.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; You =
could=20
  theoretically also increase the bump<BR>&gt; suspension travel quite a =
ways=20
  without hitting the<BR>&gt; fender with the tire as long as you don't =
run a=20
  huge<BR>&gt; tire. Running a shorter body strut would give you =
some<BR>&gt;=20
  extra travel. However, you'll find that the limiting<BR>&gt; factor is =
when=20
  the driveshaft contacts the frame rail,<BR>&gt; especially on the =
longer=20
  passenger side shaft. This is<BR>&gt; a major headache for =
Street-Prepared=20
  autocross cars<BR>&gt; who can't lower the car like they want. =
The<BR>&gt;=20
  Prepared-class autocrossers are allowed to notch the<BR>&gt; frame =
rail and=20
  reinforce it to allow for more bump<BR>&gt; travel.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
I'm=20
  personally considering mimicing the Golf Syncro<BR>&gt; front =
driveshaft=20
  layout (without the differential)<BR>&gt; someday in the future for my =
Street=20
  Modified Scirocco.<BR>&gt; It actually utilizes equal-length CV joints =

  by<BR>&gt; relocating the passenger side CV ouboard closer to =
the<BR>&gt;=20
  framerail (mirroring the driver's side). With the CV<BR>&gt; joint =
moved to=20
  near the frame rail, you can get more<BR>&gt; upward articulation =
before the=20
  driveshaft contacts the<BR>&gt; frame.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; In the end, it =
is=20
  difficult to modify a strut<BR>&gt; suspension for longer travel than =
it was=20
  designed for.<BR>&gt; The dynamic camber and toe changes make =
things<BR>&gt;=20
  difficult unless you plan to relocate the strut and<BR>&gt; control =
arm pickup=20
  points...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Neal<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  Yahoo!?<BR>&gt; Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up =
now.<BR>&gt;=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://mailplus.yahoo.com";>http://mailplus.yahoo.com</A><BR>&gt;<=