HELP :( im Really tempted to Buy a H

 --- Rhett Farnum <rocco_crossing@hotmail.com> wrote: >
> Julie, I think your domestic problem is that you haven't had a GM. I
> love
> them and if you treat them right and give them a treat or 2 to make
> them
> beefy they love you right back

Well if you tore apart GM's all day you'd change your mind quite
quickly :)   I will never (and I mean NEVER) buy a GM, let alone any
other domestic, after what I've seen at work.  I work with a machinist
that worked at GM for 30 years, and he's the first to agree with me
that there isn't much pride of workmanship on domestic vehicles.  I've
seen crankshafts that have so much casting crap, and jagged shards of
metal from dull tools, that it's a wonder the engine didn't expire
sooner...

Most domestic engines use cast cranks, rather than the stronger forged
units on imports.  The centres are out of round more often than not.
The tolerances are not near as tight either...  Basically sloppy
workmanship, on top of poor engineering...

Another thing - it seems like with every new generation of engine, most
domestics start from scratch, rather than an evolutionary approach that
VW in particular uses.  Look at an 8v VW head from 1975, and compare it
with one from the late 80's - not much difference...  The block design
well into the 90's barely changed - which makes engine swapping SO easy
in our cars...

Mark - sticking to my lifelong loyalty to VW