VR6 Swap

> What could you possibly do to preserve the handling balance of the
Scirocco
> when you have such a big lump up front there. Hell, drive a Corrado G60
and
> VR6 back to back. There's a substantial difference there. Of course, this
> effect would be magnified in the A1 chassis which is lighter and has a
> shorter wheelbase.
>
> a) You'll have to fabricate a lot to fit the motor in there.
> b) You'll have to rework the suspension to keep the car from handling like
> turd.
> c) Will spend lots of money for delicious sounding but weak engine.
>
> So... what's the point? Now, what I'd do is put the motor in the middle of
> the car and go forced induction/nitrous! *That* would make sense on every
> level. Short of such a radical transformation, a heavily worked 16v motor
> makes lots more sense. Spend the same amount of money and effort on a
> 4-banger as you do on that VR6 and  you'll be going *much* faster and
> handling *much* better.

All of this is understandable, Scott, but have you ever either done the swap
or driven one?  That is what I'd like to here about.  Someone who has done
it or had driven one so we can know first hand.  I've driven the Corrado G60
and VR6 and thought there were rather similar in suspension performance but
they both had mass aftermarket parts thrown at them.  I realize that the MK2
Scirocco may not be the best base to install a VR6 (especially with the
frontend cracking problems they have with moderate mods) but an MK1 or
Rabbit or Pickup????  It just sounds kinda fun, and maybe even the
mid-engine variety may be a better possibility.

Dave