Rod Bolts...to replace or not to replace....that is the question...

--Apple-Mail-1--570820966

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the input. I have one more question. So if i replace the rod
bolts, are they pressed into the connecting rod?
How do you remove them? Do you need a press to do so? I have my new
pistons hooked up to the rods already and am deciding
if i should go ahead and replace the bolts. Please any input would be
great....
thanks all,
jesse
just coming to the list from the Type3.org list....

Welcome to non-lurk mode.

These questions I'm sure of as opposed to this mornings mess up.

The new rod bolts are cheap insurance. The characteristics of the old
bolts
changed when they were torqued up the first time. They don't even have
the
same length as they did prior to the original installation.

It isn't hard to clean a crank the right way and you will be amazed at
what
has been compacted in there by centrigical force even in 90 thousand
miles.
When you drill the plugs out you will find that the compacted dirt behind
the plugs is often as hard as the plugs. I don't put the original style
plugs back in, I tap the hole and put Allen head set screws in with
locktite. For me this is a whole lot more confidence inspiring. Besides
you
will be able to easily clean it the next time through.

Good luck and try to stay out of lurk mode.

Rick Alexander

[...]

Rick Alexander</color>
--Apple-Mail-1--570820966--