OT: spin recovery

My wife recently crashed her Neon into a ditch. The
momentum carried her through swampy area. She cut a
swath through these cattails and received about $4k of
damage to her Neon. She came out shaken, but otherwise
all right. This happened because she hit a patch of
ice and lost control. After it was over she asked what
she should have done. I told her to press down firmly
on the ABS brakes and steer where she wanted to go,
hopefully away from that steep ditch. She told others
this, and they said I was wrong. They had no other
remedy, except to stay off those brakes. Was I wrong?

=====
Jorel Jackson
web site:  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jomoj/
1987 16V Scirocco