speedo accuracy

My $.02 CDN on the speedo issue (along the same lines as Ron's)  Both the
Scirocco and the winter-beater Jetta have 7A transmissions in them.  The
Scirocco has the stock 220KM/h speedo, and the tach is a W-field
alternator driven unit from an 89 Jetta TD (ranging from 0-5000rpm)  The
Jetta has a 16V speedo (260km/h) and tach (0-8000rpm)  The speedo drive
gear matches the R&P of the transaxle (3.94 in the 7A)

These two cars read as dead on as I can reckon by eye for RPM vs.
indicated speed on the speedometer - ie. 100KM on the clock is 2575 rpm on
both tachs (admittedly harder to pinpoint on the 8K tach due to scale...)
which impresses me, especially as the Scirocco's tach runs from the pulses
on the alternator, not the ignition, which means it's more prone to error
(belt slip, different pulley diameters etc)

I know that the Scirocco's actually speed will be off very slightly
(compared to the indicated speed) because it has 185/60R14, which results
in a slight increase in travelled speed (the rpm difference at 100km/h is
less than 50 though)

Personally I'm impressed by the consistency of VW's speedos, even if they
are optomistic (which I have not had occasion to determine.)  The fact
that these two cars with different tachs and speedos come up with the same
readings as can be calculated from gear ratio and tire diameter is cool.

Drew