scared to remove freeze plug... (fwd)

VW freeze plugs come out pretty easily because they're very shallow.  I
usually use either a drift punch on one side to turn them in the bore, or
lately I've been using the air chisel, which generally does the same thing
put puts a hole in them as well, so you can pry them out in case they get
stubborn.

Deeper freeze plugs can be harder to get out - a slide hammer works.  I
just recently removed one from a Perkins 3 cyl diesel block that was
almost half an inch deep - I drilled a hole in one side then pried it out
with a small prybar.

HTH,

Drew