16V Air Filter Change

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Matthew Lehrer wrote:

> So what exactly is the best way to change the air filter on a Scirocco 16V
> engine? I want to drop a K&N in there but there's absolutely no room to open
> the air box. I'm new to the list (hi all!) but I checked the archives on
> this issue and the only tidbit I could find was to remove the large breather
> tube and switch filters through the hole. Will that really work or is there
> a better way?

Erm.. I'd like to see you pull that off.. "Abra-cadabra!!"

Seriously, though. To change the air filter you'll want to first remove
the battery and the intake boot (loosen the two hose clamps, disconnect
the vacuum lines and pull it off), then use a flathead screwdriver to pop
the little metal clips loose all the way around the two halves
(upper/lower) of the black plastic air filter housing. I think there are
five or so.

Then carefully lift up the top half .. it'll take a little bit of muscle
because the fuel lines don't like to bend much (and don't bend them much..
or they'll kink and screw up your injection bigtime)

The air filter just sits in the box between the two halves. Switch it out,
put the clips back on and re-install the battery and intake boot. You're
done. Don't forget the battery hold down.. without it you could really do
some damage going over a bump or taking a sharp left turn!!

> - Matthew
> '86 Scirocco 16V

Good luck.. be sure and take some pictures if you manage to pull the air
filter through the breather tube hole!!

-Toby