Fuel pump queston

OKay, a question. My car('87 16V) has been out to have a fuel prime probl=
em
cured.
Anyway, the initial symptoms were no fuel at starting until the pump ran
through many cycles. Once there was fuel to it, it'd fire right up and ru=
well, until next time it sat. =

So the Bentley suggested either a check valve or accumulator, and both we=
re
replaced, but the problem persisted.
Other suggestions were the transfer pump (it's making good pressure
apparently, the car's still not home) and the reservoir, which is also
apparently fine. A leaky injector was another possibility (not sure about=

those).
Anyway, he says the main pump is buzzing but not making any pressure (it'=
pretty old and corroded). Does this fit with the previous symptoms? Would=
 run
reasonably well on just the transfer pump if the main one was going south=
? I
did notice a slight variation, like a pulsing, when you'd drive at consta=
nt
speed, say around 4000 rpm, but nothing too horrible, and it was finally
idling really well (thanks to a few nice listers). =

Anyway, feedback is appreciated before I add another new part to this car=
=2E =

Cathy, 1987 16V "the silver headache"