!

 --- Brian Wagner <brian_wagner@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >
> If the system is sealed and there is no moisture in it there is very
> little chance that the compressor will freeze up, it may gum up from
> lack of use. R12 systems use mineral oil for the lubricant, and it
> should be run every so often.
> Now the ture question is do you use the defroster if so you are using
> the ac compreesor without knowing. It is used to draw warm moisture
> from your car in the winter to keep the windows fog free.
> Usually it is the compressor clutch that the freezes up.
> Brian

I'm not sure I'm using the defroster or not.  The whole heating/cooling
system is a complete mess.  I've got cold AND warm air being blown out
of various vents.  When I slide the control lever over I hear some
hissing, but nothing changes.  There's probably a vacuum leak somewhere
in the control system, but I haven't had a chance to take a look.
This is the first VW I've owned with A/C, so all this BS is new to
me...

Thanks