!

--=======7B59DF3=======

At 12:24 PM 12/2/02 -0500, Mark wrote:

>  --- Brian Wagner <brian_wagner@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >
> > If the system is sealed and there is no moisture in it there is very
> > little chance that the compressor will freeze up, it may gum up from
> > lack of use. R12 systems use mineral oil for the lubricant, and it
> > should be run every so often.
> > Now the ture question is do you use the defroster if so you are using
> > the ac compreesor without knowing. It is used to draw warm moisture
> > from your car in the winter to keep the windows fog free.
> > Usually it is the compressor clutch that the freezes up.
> > Brian
>

>I'm not sure I'm using the defroster or not.  The whole heating/cooling
>system is a complete mess.  I've got cold AND warm air being blown out
>of various vents.  When I slide the control lever over I hear some
>hissing, but nothing changes.  There's probably a vacuum leak somewhere
>in the control system, but I haven't had a chance to take a look.
>This is the first VW I've owned with A/C, so all this BS is new to
>me...
>
>Thanks

Well you don't mention which Scirocco you have(MkI or MkII) but I'll just
assume
MkII(82-88).  The outer dash vents on these(and may apply to MkI too-don't
have
mine running) is fresh air from outside.  So if these are blowing the cold
air and you
don't want cold air you need to switch them off.  With any luck at all this
is what
you are experiencing since you don't have to fix anything for this.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'92 Polaris Indy Deluxe