87 16-valve problems

> Front end has just been completely redone. No
> bad dents or rust.  Seats and rest of interior in good shape.  No radio
> or AC.

sounds good so far. what do you mean by 'front end redone'? no a/c is a good
thing, 200 lbs lighter.

> The only major problem is that the engine hunts to find the 1k idle RPM when
> coming to a stop.

this is probably fuel related. a simple DPR adjustment might fix it. could be
more of a major problem (o2 sensor, fuel distributor). other than fuel, could be
a vacuum leak (possibly around fuel injector seals).

> Also, after it warms up to what I assume is the normal
> operating temperature, it randomly misses.  Sometimes at idle, sometimes
> when accelerating.  It does it both with soft and hard acceleration.
> I am guessing it may be the ignition.  Just a hunch.  Of course it may be
> in the fuel system (dirty injectors?) or many other places.

missing like that is probably not fuel. if it only misses when hot, it could be
a weak coil/bad wires/bad plugs/cap/rotor. check the plug at the base of the
distributor. the plastic connector loves to break, which moves the wires into
range of the hall sender pickup plate, which lives to hacksaw its way through
the wires, leading to possible misses. another possibility is that the
distributor oil seal has gone and the distributor is getting oil in it (easily
visible by popping off the cap, it will collect at the bottom of it).

> I have been on this list for a short time and I have not seen this problem
> mentioned yet.  If it is a common problem and others have found a solution,
> please share it with me.

stuff like this is usually knocked out by a tune-up.

> By the way, they are asking $2400.  That seems high even with the engine
> running perfectly.  Assuming the engine problem can be fixed without much
> cost, what do you think would be a fair price?  I am thinking about $2000.

im thinking more like $1500 (assuming the body is in good shape), but thats just
me.

> Thanks for any information you can pass on to me.

not a problem :)

> --
> William M. Davidson
> grateful@nmia.com
>
> 1704 Blume, NE
> Albuquerque, NM 87112
> 505 294 4571

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)