87 16-valve problems

I am considering purchasing an 87 scirocco that has the 16-valve engine.
147,000 miles on the clock.  I was impressed with the car in general.
Sure, it has some small problems like a cracked dash that looks horrible
but that can be covered.  Front end has just been completely redone. No
bad dents or rust.  Seats and rest of interior in good shape.  No radio
or AC.

The only major problem is that the engine hunts to find the 1k idle RPM when
coming to a stop.  Also, after it warms up to what I assume is the normal
operating temperature, it randomly misses.  Sometimes at idle, sometimes
when accelerating.  It does it both with soft and hard acceleration.
I am guessing it may be the ignition.  Just a hunch.  Of course it may be
in the fuel system (dirty injectors?) or many other places.

I have been on this list for a short time and I have not seen this problem
mentioned yet.  If it is a common problem and others have found a solution,
please share it with me.

By the way, they are asking $2400.  That seems high even with the engine
running perfectly.  Assuming the engine problem can be fixed without much
cost, what do you think would be a fair price?  I am thinking about $2000.

Thanks for any information you can pass on to me.

--
William M. Davidson
grateful@nmia.com

1704 Blume, NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112
505 294 4571

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't
want, to impress people they don't like. -Will Rogers