Replacing brake hoses

I am replacing the rubber flexible brake hoses at that go from the hard line
to the caliper because they are in bad shape.

As I dig in, it appears the PO had already noticed these looked bad and
tried to replace them. Problem is he stopped when he stripped the union
fittings between the hard line and the hose. It's supposed to be an 11mm but
my line wrench wouldn't even begin to bite. I tried ViceGrips, penetrating
oil and pleading but I can't get the old hoses off.

I seem to recall that VW uses a different fitting/flare size than one
normally encounters at the FLAPS.

Any suggestion on what I can do to get these old hoses out and the new ones
back in place?

Thanks.

Christian Els
Columbia, MO