tranny/cv/diff failure?

it might looks like it is functional, but I can tell you that if the cage of
a cv joint, can lock up and with temperature change and short movement,
reset itself partially, so it looks like its fine, but what you are
describing from a noise point of view, sure sounds like you are about to
have a self destructing cv joint cage in the very very near future.  I
strongly suggest you taking off that "noisy" half shaft and examine it
closely, I bet your cage is slightly damaged and is close to breaking...
best bet, is to get a replacement and be happy this happened in your front
garage, and not in the middle of the road as it has happened to be at a
light, I almost got rear ended by a semi-trailer 5 blocks from work because
mine died (and I had ignored the clunking thinking It would okay for another
2 weeks until pay day!.

don't drive the car, change the cv joint, AutoZone or o'reilly has them
available for 59.99 (o'reilly price) + core exchange. Life time warranty.

   /  |/_ __/ ___/ Patrick Bureau
  //| | / / \__ \  1985 8v Prowler Orange "Beatrice"
 / _  |/ / ___/ /  1985 8v Titian Red "Lucky"
/_/ |_/_/ /____/   http://www.longcoeur.com/scirocco