Roccoo owner needs teck help, stranded sorta.

Comments interspersed:

Allyn wrote:

> hrm, bouncy tach and suddenly no fuel flow. im thinking hall sender, wait a sec,
> thats a 79. hrm. well if it did by chance have a 16v in there, a bad hall sender
> would cause no fuel (fuel pump relay relies on pulses from hall sender to keep
> fuel pump going). im not sure if the engine in a 79 would act the same or not.
> Al

The car is from California so it is _possible_ it came with electronic
Ignician. I am of the remebering that it started with model year 80 but
both Cali & Sciroccos lead the way for 'improvments' so, maybe.

Well, OK. It was diagnosed but what are the symptoms?

> > this was changed this afternoon, along
> > with the fuel filter, but the problem has not gone away. the mechanic
> > doesn't work on weekends, so my nephew is stranded there till Monday. I'm
> > hoping someone can shed some light on what else to check. I've told my
> > nephew to go over all the vacuum lines, distributor, coil wires and air tube
> > and boot. the car has also got a very erratic tachometer, which I'm
> > wondering if the coil is bad.

Ah, OK. Tach is eratic? Does the motor follw suit or is it a false
reading, this needle jumping up and down? Electrical power to the tach
might involve the voltage reduction on the back of the Inst cluster.
Then again it might involve the main 12v as well.

This guy needs a cheap Radio Shack meter ~$10. I can dig up some tests
for basic trouble shooting but am limited to Haynes right now, otherwise
I only have half a Bentley to contend with, the back half. (schematics!)

> >  I don't know how the mechanic condemned the
> > fuel pump, but he said the original was weak.

Is the _pump_ getting 12v?

> > I sure hope he cracked a fuel
> > line and saw little or insufficient fuel flow. so, what would cause this
> > condition which seems like the car is starving for fuel, but may in fact be
> > something else. I realize this is hard to diagnose from this limited info,
> > but its all I've got right now. if the problem is ignition related, could
> > the coil be suspect?

Is the COIL getting 12v?

>  geez, my poor nephew will be stuck there till Monday!
> > and worse, I've never seen the car in person, and I've been waiting
> > patiently for it to arrive. there's gotta be something I'm missing. please
> > help me. I'm hoping to call him tomorrow to offer something to help.
> > _______

I'm CC'ing the list on purpose. Feedback will remove scirocco.org from
the TO: line.

TBerk