From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of 'Cheapass' Ron Pieper
Sent: August 23, 2002 7:31 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Rick Alexanders Road Trip from Hell Itself (St Louis listers
read)

Ok, for those who don't know, Rick Alexander, wife Merilee, and Lyman
Terni, all from Connecticut, were on a sojourn to retrieve a MkI G60
roc from Ryan Schuerman in TX.  To make matters more interesting, they
were also delivering a ragtop Roc to Mike Van Amburgh in Sedalia
(where?) MO.  Also getting a tranny from Big Mac, delivering it to me
in Cincy, and retrieving one I had rebuilt for delivery to ATS Patrick
Bureau in Dallas.

Well, all was ahead of schedule when the Merry Three headed out
yesterday noonish.  They were supposed to stop at Dauns about 1:00am,
then my place about 3:00am for the tranny exchange.  That didn't
happen.

See, they had a wreck, and I can afford to be a bit light as everyone
is alright, thank God.  Seriously.  Apparently, with Rick napping in
the back of his big ol' Dodge pickup and Merilee driving, they went
through some roadwork and had to drive on the shoulder.  This was in
Northern Ohio around Mansfied, Southbound on I71.  The right wheels
dropped off the shoulder into some serious muck, made from recent
downpours.  All hell musta broke loose, the roc (on a dolly) jackknifed
both directions, hit a Cadillac, the pickup damn near hit an oncoming
semi, and apparently all were scared seriously shitless.

The Dodge suffered a dropped - literally - fuel tank from off roading,
plus dented rear 1/4 panel, bumper, and busted taillight.  The Roc,
unfortunately, did a bit worse.  Both front TS lenses are broke, the
passenger 1/4 panel is dented in, and the rear bumper looks to be near
scrap.  Recoverable, but not pleasant.  Again, thank goodness that all
people were OK.

Apparently Lyman decided to bag it, I got him the bus/train info back
North and once Rick got mobile again, he was left at a bus stop in
Columbus OH and should get home tomorrow late afternoon.

Rick and Merille continued, getting to Daun's mid afternoon and to my
place about 6:00 or so, where I witnessed the damage.  We did the
tranny exchange, and gave the 'roc a quick squirt off so Mike V. won't
sob uncontrollably, and they were off again.  They did have a leak of
Diesel fuel from the return line, Rick planned on getting that looked
at en route at a truck stop.

They're heading West on I74 through Indy, then I guess through St
Louis, and onto Sedalia.  Scott Rose and Bob - keep an eye out and let
me have your phone numbers...in case they need some help.

Now for the ugly stuff...here are the photos
http://w3.one.net/~rapieper/mikev/

I haven't even seen them myself...just uploaded 'em from Merilees
digicam.

I instructed Rick to call me tonight with his progress...no word yet
(10:30 - Amanda had a night out planned, and this was the earliest I
could get to the PC).  They should be into Illinois by now, if they
didn't stop.

Rick's cell phone is 860 671-0632 if anyone wants to check up on him.

Let's wish him better luck for the rest of the trip!

Ron