German engineering vs British Eng - was German eng poll.

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:13:02 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Q:  Why do the British drink warm beer?
>
>A:  Because Lucas makes their refrigerators too.

This has been around for a while, but it's worth a repost:

The Smoke Theory of Electric Circuits

Electrical Theory by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, the
transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral
manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes
electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time
one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working.
This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing.

When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component
(i.e., say, a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the
component stops working. The function of the wire harness is to carry
the smoke from one device to another; when the wire harness "springs a
leak", and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works
afterwards. Starter motors were frowned upon in British Automobiles
for some time, largely because they consume large quantities of smoke,
requiring very large wires.

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to
electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts
point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British
leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and
disk brakes leak fluid, British tyres leak air and the British defense
establishment leaks secrets...so, naturally, British electrics leak
smoke.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
http://home.att.net/~gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm