[OT]:Need desperate stereo help! Long

if the sound cuts out with a cd (or tape) check the ground for the head unit.
it is possible for a poor ground to allow enough power for the head unit to
function, but not enough power for the internal amp to function properly.

what brand / model head unit is it?

also check any inline fuses or fuses on the deck for corrosion or loose
connections.  When the cutout occurs check the speaker output at the back of
the deck w/ a multimeter, if it is ok check the output at the speaker
connection.

it is very unlikely all 4 speakers are malfunctioning at the same time.  there
is something wrong which is preventing signal output to the speakers.

when this happens is the head unit very hot?  if it has a high power internal
amplifier it may shut down if it over heats to prevent damage.  A poor ground
could also cause excessive heat in the amp section of the head unit.

Let us know what you find... HTH

Matt
87 16v