From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Scott F. Williams
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Vince Royer; Allyn
Cc: Scirocco List
Subject: RE: H&R G Springs

The point here is not how you eventually get to a 2.5" or 3" drop. The issue
at hand is whatever drop you end up with. You can use progressive or linear
rates. You can buy the springs that way or cut them. In terms of suspension
travel it doesn't matter a bit. Assuming that you maintain the original
mounting geometry, a 3" drop is a 3" drop no matter how you achieve it.

Slamming the suspension 3" will leave you with NO travel at all. NONE. ZERO.
ZIPPO. You will ride on the bumpstops every minute that you drive the car.
(I'll give you about an hour before you destroy the dampers completely.
Maybe the chassis will last a month of paranoid driving before you rip the
strut towers out the front end.) Dropping it 2.5" will leave you with just
1/2" compression and droop. Hit a 1/2" high obstacle and you are likely to
bottom. Install enough spring to keep the suspension from bottoming and
you'll crash over every imperfection with a bang.

Does this sound like a remotely rational thing to do with your car?

Now... if you install something like this:
<http://www.opmmotorsports.com/products/vw/a1chassis/vwa1_opmcamberkit.html>

...then you'll be able to regain 1" of travel by moving the mounting point
upwards. I've got one of these installed in my Scirocco which has been
dropped about an inch. I'd offer you some test drive results, but I have yet
to drive the car. :^)

Anyway... I can't recommend dropping the car any more than 1.5" in a
"normal" configuration. With these plates installed, you can bring the thing
down to a very low 2.5". I am unsure, however, whether installing this
camber plate necessitates the use of coilovers. Call OPM Motorsports about
that: (770) 886-8199.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut