[tech] Help diagnosing an 8V?

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Michael Carlson wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply; it's been a busy day...
>
> Well, I performed the OXS control unit tests per the Bentley today.
> According to those tests, everything checks out.  (I feel like a certified
> Scirocco owner now that I've actually made and used my very on fuel pump
> relay switch.)  I also performed the oxygen sensor test, and it checked out,
> too.
>
> Beyond the tests, I watched the frequency valve duty cycle as the engine
> warmed up.  Just out of curiosity, please verify that the following behavior
> is correct (or at least reasonable):
>
> 1)  While the engine was cold, the duty cycle was solid at 50% (even when
> the engine ran rough and stumbled).
> 2)  Once the engine warmed up a bit, the duty cycle fluctuated between 40%
> and 58%.
> 3)  A little later, the duty cycle fluctuated between 45% and 56%.

OK, definately not *mixture* control related if I remember correctly from
the bentley, those duty cycles are just fine, and your mixture control
system all checks out.

> I believe my thermo-time switch is broken.  I didn't get any resistance from
> it when the engine was cold, which means it's probably never turning on the
> cold start valve.  I didn't have enough time to pull out the cold start
> valve and verify this, but I trust my meter.  That would explain the hard
> starting when cold, but I doubt that's causing my rough-running issue.

Hmm..now this is odd, I thought that the thermo-time was also responsible
for telling the Jetronic to run in open loop mode (that solid 50% you were
seeing) till the motor warms up....

But I agree, we are seeing NO correlation between your duty cycle readings
and the rough running.

So we are left with: An injector not firing properly, or a spark issue.
And from what I am seeing, this is not enough to affect the OXY readings,
so it must be a single cylinder mis-firing.  I'd concentrate on the #2
cyl, the one that you found the ugly plug.  Test the spark plug, the wire,
etc.  Also check out that injectors spray pattern, look for
leaks/dribbles.

> I suspect this is my next step.  Argh.  Now I need to get an injector puller
> and some new O-ring seals (been meaning to replace those for awhile now)...

Orings are good, no need for the puller, I use a small set of vice grips
clamped onto the injector and a screw driver under it for leaverage.

> There's no shame in that.  At least you gave me a direction to start
> marching in.  There's just as much value in verifying what the problem
> *isn't* as figuring out what the problem *is*.  (Can you tell I'm a software
> engineer?)

:-)  And I am a tech support geek, I fully understand this importance :-)

> Oh yeah, one more thing.  While I was scrutinizing stuff today, I discovered
> that the rubber sheath on the line between the fuel filter and the fuel
> distributor had some visible cracks in it.  Could that be letting unwanted
> air in the system, or is that rubber sheath just a protective layer for the
> fuel line?  Either way, I plan to replace it--should I go ahead and replace
> the fuel filter while I'm at it?

Fuel filter is a good idea, since you don't know its age, cheap insurance.
As for that line..it is just a protection, don't worry about it.  All mine
have had those cracks...

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport (400cc, 4 cyl, OHC 8v, 10k RPM redline *grin*)
80 Scirocco (FOR SALE $500)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
87 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop (Soon to be VW Turbo Diesel Powered)

-Kelli Fox