bent valves

depends on what you're after. p&p will set you back another $500 in addition
to whatever else you do. used head will most likely be ok, but again,
depends on what you're after and what it's worth to you. when you say "turn
by hand" do you mean "by hand" or "by hand with a wrench". you shouldn't be
able to turn it by hand (even belt off), and if the timing belt's off, it
may not turn because it's hitting the pistons. retime everything and take a
compression reading before you go looking for new heads. i think these heads
are harder to trash than people think. i blew a timing belt ~2 years ago and
the head was fine. hand turning stuff would be even less likely to
damage...$0.02
-m