[tech] weird starting and rough acceleration

>From: "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@YorkU.CA>
>
>First problem, if I try to start the car by turning the key, the motor
>continually cranks but won't start (I'm guessing a spark issue here).
>HOWEVER, if I turn the key to the on position and jump the starter by
>connect a jumper wire from the starter (terminal 50) to the positive of the
>battery, it cranks and starts without any problems.

sounds like you have a wiring problem somewhere (no kidding). for whatever
reason, i'm guessing the coil isn't firing in the start position, but it is
in the on position. first thing i'd do is check the spark while the key is
in the spark position.  since you messed with it, likely culprit is knock
box wiring. maybe wired to the load reduction circuit? just guessing.

>Secondly, once the car is running, it idles fine but on acceleration, it's
>quite rough to say the least.  The motor pulls but it's so rough.  I
>replaced the spark plugs as well as the wires with good ones and no change.
>So what gives?

i'd be willing to bet your timing is off here. other possibilities are wrong
plug wire order (16v bentley has the order wrong, dunno about 8v), and
again, something with your knock box wiring. sorry for the general info, but
that's the best i can do...
-michael