Suspension Question/Recomendation

This is actually for my dad.. he has an 88 16v and says this:

What would you recommend for a new suspension fo rmy Scirocco?
The shocks are getting weak and it would be a good time to
upgrade.
I would like to have good handling without getting a punnishing ride
or lowering the car too much (if at all). As far as I know, the
suspension is stock now.

Any suggestions?  Speaking from experience, he likes the car to
handle about as well as possible without being punishing.. his first
car was a bmw 2002, thena daimler Sp250, then a euro spec Opel
GT, and now a 88 16v 'roc, so all the cars have been pretty damn
sporty, if that helps at all....

Thanks for any help!
Rob
(also an 88 16v)